Sunday, January 12, 2014

Flower Power: Dusting Gumpaste Flowers

Quite often people ask us  how to use petal dust on Gumpaste flowers. So I thought I"d share a quick and easy method on how to add some Power to your Flower:)
When I first started using petal dust, I was SCARED! Mostly because I was afraid that if I used too much color it would ruin my flower. And that would be terrible because I spent so many hours making the gumpaste flower petal by petal.
After making friends with my petal dust, I realized man this stuff is AWESOME!!! There is no reason why I should be scared.  Like anything I use for the first time, I always say make friends with your tools and new supplies. The more you use it the more comfortable you'll get and the more adventurous you'll be and the more creative and AWESOME your cakes will be. 
So lets get started.

Here are 2 very beautiful Anemones. You may opt to make your own or work with ready made ones. 
Here are some ready made ones that we sell at our shop. They are very pretty, but a bit plain jane. With just a bit of "makeup", your plain jane flowers will be the belle of the ball.
Here 's what you need:
Petal Dust color of your choice: I of coarse chose the shocking pink
Black food marker: Wilton or Americolor
Brush: recommend a flat brush
Open up all your flower petals
dip your brush into petal dust tap a bit off and then apply onto flower stroking from inside out.
easy peesy:) You may continue and add it to the outer large petals as well.
after you have completed that, take your pen and go around the edge of each petal.
next, you may want to steam the flower to set the color onto your flower.
That's it, it's that easy. Your flower went from plain Jane to Badabing-Badaboom!
Get adventurous and try different colors too:)
Have fun and get dusting!!!